Saturday, June 20, 2015

9,000 Feet Above "Home" // Lisa Longoria

Hello everyone!
As I sat at this computer and thought about how to begin, I found my brain translating what I want to say into Spanish. It's been happening a lot- Señora Westrich would be proud. Anyways, I just want to open with saying that God is good. This phrase is constantly running through my head while we're here, starting from the moment that I woke up. I am sleeping in room 2 with Claire, Emily, Grace, Sarah and Jenna, and room two rocks. As Linzy entered our cool, dry room at 8:45 this morning, I rolled over in the top bunk, said a prayer of thanks because I hadn't fallen off the night before, and opened my eyes to see the most beautiful view one could hope to wake up to. My bed is angled so I could see straight out the window and across the rooftops to see the Andes mountains and the clear blue sky. For a moment, I was mildly disoriented, but I then proceeded to climb down (and by that I mean fall off of) the bed to change for my first day in Bolivia! Another thing that blows my mind... we are in the southern hemisphere. Below the equator. It's winter here. If winter in Chicago was like this, cool in the morning and high 70's during the day, I don't think we would hate winter as much as we do. The stars we see are amazing.I had a lot of time (32 hours worth that I'm sure Annmarie has already told you about) to prepare myself for this time in Bolivia. About 6 hours into the Dallas to Lima overnight flight at about 4:20 in the morning, I looked outside my airplane window as everyone slept around me to see four shooting stars. Four! The stars here are amazing, we all stood outside last night marveling at the constellations we've never seen before. There's a lot here I've never seen before, and I can't wait to experience it all.

Anyways, after everyone stumbled downstairs at the early hour of 9:30 (that's sarcasm), we had some team time to discuss the day, the traveling, and of course wish Richard 'Happy Birthday'. We split up for our daily devotional time, and I sat on the back porch as I journaled, spent time in the Word and marveled at the view. Breakfast was eggs with tomatoes, bread and jam and fruit, in case you're curious. We proceeded to split into our predetermined groups of music, drama, crafts and games to prepare for the day's VBS (vacation bible school) then a few of us played soccer with some local boys. I am in the drama group, and we performed a skit we wrote that is based off the same idea as the "Everything skit" which I recommend you google- it's a Christian skit to the song "Everything" by Lifehouse and I personally find it really powerful. Annmarie, Clint, Paul, Dylan and I make up the Drama team, and we practiced it a few times. I was kind of nervous to be on the Drama team. The truth of it is that the kids we perform for are young and impressionable, and we had the important task of showing God's love to them in a way that they would remember. If their only memory of church and God is a poor actress who laughed as she was trying to portray an angry sinner, then I will have failed! After that, we came all together again and ate Salteñas, which I don't know how to describe without using the word "good". Then we filled up our water bottles and took a bus North to the location of the VBS.



As soon as we got there, we carried bananas and other food into a small shed and went out back to see the kids. Believe me when I tell you you have never seen poverty like that in which these people live. Later after we finished, Linzy explained to me that their parents make bricks all day long. We played running games with the kids as older mothers sat with chickens and dogs and spectated. The kids were extremely excited for all the stations we had, and I think the drama was well received. Theo, a guy who lives here, had a small lesson/explanation of our skit that really hit home for me. I was able to translate what he was saying to Dylan and Clint, and our whole team was able to process how these kids live. In his lesson, Theo was trying to impress upon the children the unfailing, all consuming love and forgiveness of God. He asked them if it hurt their hearts when their parents fought, when they drank, when they hit them. He asked if they thought they were worth less because they are poor. He then affirmed how much God loves them, enough to give them a new heart. A new heart for them, but also one available to their families. Even if we only reach one person or child and introduce them to the Gospel, it would all be worth it. God is so good.








After the lessons, we gave them one food item each (although they all asked for more, we had to save some for our other outreach times) and got on the bus to go on another mission. We traveled to the south of the city and split into groups- the music group stayed to set up and the rest of us split into three teams. We took some flyers and set off to walk the streets "door to door" to give out the flyers for the concert. We used basic spanish phrases "esta noche" (tonight) and "por allá" (over there). We witnessed a few stray German Shepard fights, stopped some cars to give them flyers, and talked to whomever we saw. Finally, we looped back to the basketball court where we were performing and waited. 


God brought a fair amount of people out to worship with us and listen to Dan's talk about God's love and salvation, and after that we had the chance to speak to the people or play with the kids. God gives people different gifts, Emily and Grace etc. have beautiful voices they use to lead worship, many people here have the ability to invite others to hear about the gospel, and as far as I've noticed my gift seems to be Spanish. I was able to carry conversations with everyone I talked to, and it reminded me the real power of the gospel. Luisa, a lady with whom I spoke, asked me about our team and our mission and we discussed the power of the Lord. I was able to welcome others, invite them, and affirm them. I love talking to people, and it was AMAZING to be able to do that here, with these people, in that language, about God. He was definitely moving tonight. God is good. 




I titled this piece "9,000 feet above "Home"" for a few reasons. For one, we are 9,000 feet above sea level, and about that far above Chicago. Although I grew up in Chicago, I put "Home" in quotations because I am realizing that I am at home here. When I talk to the Bolivians about my team members, they don't refer to them as that. They call them my brothers and sisters in Christ. They are! Every person here is adding so much to the team and I'm so blessed to get to call them my family with whom I get to spend time, worship, and serve the Lord. Home is where I have God and family of some sort. Mom and Dad (and Caroline)- I miss and love you, but I am so not ready to come home! God is good! 

Ciao (as they say here),
Lisa 

No comments:

Post a Comment