Saturday, July 26, 2014

Eyes on El Cristo by Ryan Mjoen

     Hello, friends and family! We've finally arrived yesterday after a long trip. It was worth the wait and lack of sleep, as we were greeted by the breathtaking view of Cochabamba surrounded by the mountains of Bolivia. I could already see the beauty of God's presence through the small airplane window. We got to the guest house, unwound, and ate some of the best pasta I've ever had. It was incredible because all we ate for the past 24 hours was airport food. They are pasta-cooking masters.

      The next morning, we all had devotionals and some more amazing food before heading off to climb the steps of El Cristo. Before I started the first step, I had the mindset that I was just going to walk. That's it... Just start walking up the steps and get to the top. People told me that it was hard, but I just thought they were being lazy and complaining. However, we reached the first step, and the giant statue wasn't even in sight. As we began our climb up the steps, I quickly realized there is a big difference from climbing steps in Bolivia to climbing steps at home. At 8,500 feet that altitude quickly takes it's toll on you. After thirty steps, I was breathless and gasping for air and El Christo was still not in sight. I kept pushing though, determined to keep going; however, I had to stop and sit down.

      While I was sitting, Carter Fricano walked up and sat down next to me. We both talked about how tired we were and how hard this really was. After a few more sips of water and deep breaths we went back at it. The first few steps were easy, making me think that I could go the rest of the way without stopping. After about ten steps, I was gasping for breath. Carter and I finally had to take another break. We realized that this was not going to be an easy task. While we were sitting there, we saw people riding lifts to the top. Why don't they need to walk? Why aren't we taking these lifts? These thoughts flew through my head, but complaining wasn't going to help get us to the top. Instead, Carter and I started to set goals for each other, each one taking us higher and higher. Finally, El Cristo was in sight! We then decided not to stop and to keep going on pushing. I can honestly say that reaching that last step and seeing El Cristo in all of it's glory made me so glad that I climbed those stairs and didn't take the lift. The reward was so gratifying. It was after reaching the top I started to smile and think about what just happened and how much symbolism was is in it.




     Climbing these steps is like us going through life. It's never easy, and as Christians, we live and walk towards Jesus or "El Cristo." Traveling this path with someone who is going to push you to your limits and who is going to set goals with you can bring you closer and closer to God. Those breaks we took are like the retreats and the mission trips and God moments that give us those "God-highs." Even though they will wear off, we have our family and Christian brothers and sisters to support us. God is showing all of us so many things already, and we are beyond blessed to be here.

Prayers being sent up over the city of Cochabamba
Thank you for all your prayers,
Ryan

(Edited by Dominic)

No comments:

Post a Comment