Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day Numero Uno in Cochabamba! by Clare Martin

  Hello friends and family from beautiful Cochabamba, Bolivia!! Today was our first full day here, and the trip has already been full of plenty of fun as well as challenges. I personally have been enjoying all of the spanish practice here! The Bolivians actually take my spanish seriously and understand me which is exciting!!



                Today started off with devotionals along with wonderful pancakes made by Magda (the wonderful cook here at the guest house) . After breakfast, we stopped at a Bolivian food market where the main attraction was GIGANTIC avocados, I'm talking the size of my head! All of the fruit here is so amazing compared to the states I might add! Then we were off to hike 1,000 steps up the mountain  to El Christo, which resembles the statue in Rio de Janeiro (I've been told by the Holman's that the one in Cochabamba is actually taller). The hike was very challenging at times, especially for me bringing up the end of our group! But the view was spectacular and completely worth it. Ryan Mjoen, one of our team members came up with a great metaphor for the hike during our team time which he wrote about in his post!





          Later, our team took part in a "Baby Wash", where we voluntarily washed some of the Bolivian children who may not have access to a shower or bath on a regular basis, which was such an incredibly special experience in itself. It was amazing to me how trusting the  parents of the children were to people who aren't even from their country to wash their children for them. It really put a lot into perspective for me and how fortunate I've been to have the resources I've had for the past eighteen years.





            Thank you so much for all of you readers back home for all of your thoughts, love, and prayers about the team and I! I can't wait to see what God has in store for me as well as the rest of our team seeing how amazing just this first day alone was. Tomorrow my team is preforming our dramatic skit at the church service so wish us luck!!

In Christ,
Clare Martin


         

1 comment:

  1. CLARE MARTIN! Ani here! We all miss you and your daily texts so much back here! However, now that I've checked out your blog post and I've seen all the amazing things you guys are doing, I know you're in great hands and are doing such a great job spreading joy and love! LOVE YOUUU and can't wait to see the rest of the lovely things you guys accomplish over there in Bolivia! Also, we CANNOT WAIT to see your face on Monday!

    ReplyDelete