Friday, July 5, 2013

Your Will Be Done by Sarah Kitchel

At first glance, I think this country is beautiful. The clear sky perfectly frames the mountains and the houses hug the mountainsides like ants on a wall. Even though there is trash in the streets and graffiti all over the walls of buildings, I still think it is a pretty city and I find myself romanticizing this place and the people who live here. One of my favorite parts of the trip has been driving around the city of Cochabamba and just being able to see the buildings and the people and scenery and everything that there is to see here.



This past Tuesday, Joe Holman took us on a tour of the neighborhood where we were building. On a dusty hillside, this neighborhood was not pretty or beautiful. People lived in tiny, floor-less homes with no electricity or running water. Their bathrooms were often across a dusty road, outhouses shielded from the elements by dirty sheets or broken pieces of wood. Joe said that a typical income for these families was about $500 a year, which was 1/5 of the money that each one of us on our team had raised in order to come on this trip. Children and stray dogs and chickens stood in the unpaved roads and looked at the car full of gringos with big sad eyes while we passed by. Joe pointed out typical homes, a school and the lack of a church. The community building that we were helping to build would not only provide medical and dental care to the local people but would also help to share and spread the gospel and show Christ's love to people who were in desperate need of a Savior and something to carry them through their lives. After seeing this neighborhood, Bolivia didn't seem so beautiful anymore.






This morning, we went to a boys orphanage to play with the kids there. We made balloon animals and balloon swords for them and gave them juice and cookies. Despite the things that they had gone through, the boys seemed thrilled to see us and ran around laughing and playing with us. Even though we had only known them for about an hour and a half, it was sad to leave and say goodbye, knowing how unlikely it was that we would ever see them again.





On the bus ride back, I was looking out the window as I always do when we drive somewhere and just thinking about the boys in the orphanage as well as the neighborhood that we had seen on Tuesday. In my head, I began praying the Lord's Prayer, and when I got to the part that says "Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven," I paused. How could the grave reality of the poverty and sadness of these people's lives here be God's will? Is this what God had planned for these people and what He had wanted for their lives? But then I realized how much it is not my place to judge God's plans for the lives of others. He knows what He is doing; He loves all people the same. It is not possible for me, a human, to comprehend an infinite God and all that He plans for the world. He is beautiful and He always works for the good of those who love Him. With this in mind, I finished the prayer and enjoyed the rest of the scenery on the way back to the guesthouse.

Everyone at home, I miss you a lot! I have so many stories to tell you when I get back. Dad, I haven't been abducted by druglords yet so there's nothing to worry about, and for your information I peed in the bushes the other day, so you should be proud of me for that. Mom, I have only gotten dehydrated three times (oops). Matthew, I got you a cool present that has llamas on it :). Ryan and Daniel, I guess I miss you guys...sorta...maybe...a little... Michael, I miss you lots.

Can't wait to see everyone!

Lots of love,

Sarah Kitchel/Skitch

2 comments:

  1. So so great, Amanda and got so excited when we saw this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and Amanda wanted you to know that she loves you lots, but her phone won't let her comment :)

      Delete