Friday, June 28, 2013

"Transitioning To 8,000 Feet Above Sea Level: An Introduction to Bolivia" - Blog Time with Mike

      The four connecting flights were not as fun as I anticipated. Right when I got to La Paz and on the plane I started to feel the altitude. I was not enjoying being the first one to be victim of altitude sickness, but I got over it right when we got to Cochabamba from our last connecting flight.
       The first thing I noticed when I walked off the plane in Cochabamba was the smell of Piña Colada. It was just as expected. Bolivia has some awesome vintage cars rolling around everywhere. It seems Bolivia is all about color. The busses, houses, and walls are all different colors and are interesting to look at. I don't know why the States doesn't use more color because the color here in Cochabamba gives it a much more lively undertone. The base camp we're staying at is very accommodating. For a guy who had a hard time flying for more than 12 hours, I had no trouble going to sleep 3 hours early.

     Today, everybody's morale has skyrocketed. We also had the first workday today. I've found that we are set to do some very tedious and repetitive work, which has been a change since the last few mission trips I've been on. We are doing a lot of bricklaying and cement churning. Although I dislike not hammering some nails, I'm still stoked about our goal for this building and the impact it will have.



There's a few more things I could write about, but we are on a tight schedule, and I trust that the other team members can convey our Bolivian experience just as well, if not better than I can!

- Mike Anagnostopoulos


No comments:

Post a Comment